This is the 11th installment of my viewing club series. Each week, whatever rerun NBC airs, I will suggest 2 or 3 episodes with the same “theme” and post some discussion questions.
This week’s rerun: Cocktails
The theme: Jim’s
rebound relationship with Karen
When Jim returned to Scranton, he had a new title, new car, and new girlfriend. Despite lingering feelings for Pam, Jim seemed determined to make things work with Karen, and Karen was more than willing to work through their “rough patches”. Let’s take a look back at the couple we loved to hate but also hated to love.
The Viewing List
The Coup (3.03): A crush is clearly developing as Karen teases Jim with her superior video games skills.
Back From Vacation (3.12): Jim and Karen have their first disagreement, and Jim gets advice from an unlikely source.
Cocktails (3.18): At a cocktail party for managers, Jim learns about Karen’s past, or does he?
Beach Games (3.23): Jim and Karen have fun together at the beach, and start thinking about life beyond Dunder Mifflin Scranton.
extra credit The Job (3.24/25): Decisions must be made as both Jim and Karen interview for a job at corporate.
1. What was your favorite Jim and Karen moment?
2. Was Jim using Karen? Was Karen using Jim?
3. Why do you think there was so little PDA between these two?
4. Let’s say the Scranton branch had closed and Stamford stayed open, how do you think Jim and Karen’s relationship would have played out?
5. Off topic, but I have to ask: Do you think anything ever happened between Karen and Andy?
Watch the episodes, ponder the questions, and please post your answers. And feel free to post suggestions for the next SVC. Next week is (surprise!) The Negotiation.