In this series, Flonkerton investigates some of the unanswered questions from “The Office.”
Question: Was Michael’s phone call in “The Convention” the first Jim heard of Pam’s broken engagement?
In “The Convention” Jim sees his old boss, Michael, for the first time since his transfer to Stamford. Jim tries to act cool when Michael gets a call from Pam, but when Michael tells Pam “Have fun on your date,” Jim reacts with this heartbreaking look. So was this the moment Jim learned Pam didn’t get married, or was he reacting more to the fact that she was dating again?
Theory 1: This is the first Jim heard of Pam’s canceled wedding.
1. He and Pam have not had contact since Casino night. Though they are obviously on each other’s minds, it’s clear that the accidental phone call in “Initiation” (3 episodes after Convention) was the first time Jim and Pam had talked since May.
2. Jim has had minimal contact with anyone from the Scranton branch. Friendly as Jim is, the only person at Dunder-Mifflin Scranton he was close to was Pam. He wasn’t good enough “friends” with anyone else in the office to keep in touch with them.
3. Jim was doing his best to forget Pam and move on. With one call to someone at the Scranton branch, or even a little internet digging, Jim could have easily found out for himself how the wedding went (and subsequently learned it was canceled). However, he was trying to start over in Stamford, and part of that was to push Pam to the back of his head as much as he can. He may have been tempted, but I don’t think he ever allowed himself to “check up” on Pam.
4. The Look. Jim had been aware of the cameras all episode, but it didn’t stop him from looking absolutely shocked when Michael said “Have fun on your date.” He stared at Michael on the phone for several seconds, then his eyes darted around as he tried to cover up his shock (though he can’t quite hide the hurt look on his face).
Theory 2: Jim already knew Pam wasn’t married, and was reacting to the news that she was dating.
1. Jim has had some contact with the Scranton branch. Being in Stamford didn’t stop Jim from pulling a couple long distance pranks on Dwight. Also, Michael freely calls him in “Gay Witch Hunt” and in “Initiation,” Kevin and Jim are involved in some kind of Fantasy Football league together. Nearly everyone in the office knew of Jim’s crush on Pam, one would think someone would have at least sent an email to him.
2. Later at Michael’s “party,” when Michael said Pam’s single, Jim uttered, “I heard something about that.” This could indicate he knew Pam didn’t go through with the wedding, but didn’t know the whole story, like if Pam only postponed it, but was still with Roy (of course, he could just as easily be referring to the phone call from earlier).
3. Jim has never been able to handle hearing about Pam being romantic with anyone else. He was crestfallen when he heard Pam’s suggestive comments to Roy in “Basketball.” He was a little jealous of Dwight when Pam and Dwight were friendly to each other in “The Injury.” Even months after this episode in “Ben Franklin” the mere mentioning of Pam dating someone else rouses jealously and hurt in him (not to mention he made a similar face in “Ben Franklin”).
Thoughts? More evidence? Another theory altogether? Please comment!