In this series, Flonkerton investigates some of the unanswered questions from “The Office.”
Question: Did Jim go to Australia?
status: solved (mostly)
In Episode 217 “Dwight’s Speech”, Jim scheduled a trip down under that (intentionally) would have made him miss Pam and Roy’s wedding. We all know what happened with Pam’s wedding, but not a word has been said about Jim’s trip all season.
The Theories and some Proof
Theory 1: He did go on his trip
1. He said himself the ticket was non-refundable, so canceling the trip would have put him out a couple thousand dollars.
2. Even after he told Pam he loved her and kissed her, she affirmatively said she was still marrying Roy, so all the more reason for Jim to be out of the country for the event.
3. He never said he didn’t go.
Theory 2: He didn’t go on his trip
1. The transfer: Jim planned the trip before he started to seriously consider transferring, and couldn’t have foreseen he would transfer only a couple weeks before his trip.
2. Jim really just wanted to avoid Pam’s wedding. His transfer solved that problem, so he didn’t really need to take the trip anymore.
3. His desk is completely devoid of any Aussie souvenirs.
4. He never said he did go.
Fairly Undeniable Proof: Office writer Paul Lieberstein (who also plays Toby) confirmed Jim didn’t go. Paul says between Pam’s rejection and transferring, he wasn’t up for his trip. However, Paul left it a bit open ended, by saying, “Unless, of course, we find a good joke in his vacation.”